San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
AIRLINE SERVICE FOR GUAYMAS  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Feb 14th, 2016 03:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
bombero

Mana: 
That is great news, will be wonderful for the Guaymas/San Carlos area. Anyone know what airline will provide the service?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Feb 14th, 2016 03:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Don't be surprised if it is Sky West, which provides regional service for United, American, Delta and Alaska airlines in the western US. Hopefully, it will be under one of these major carrier banners which will allow frequent flyer miles to accumulate. While this only amounts to 200 seats per week with the smaller CJ200 aircraft, if successful it can develop into service with larger aircraft, which Sky West flies. According to the news article, the formal announcement will come later this month.  Standby........

Posted: Sun Feb 14th, 2016 06:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
RichD

Mana: 
The article indicated that the demand will come from clients of the maquiladoras in Guaymas and Empalme. These folks are not going to care that much about super cheap air fares. Still, it is a positive development and will give tourists a different option.

Posted: Sun Feb 14th, 2016 10:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
The question is, "what airline is offering this service"? So far no one can answer this very basic question. Until we know that, it remains in the category of rumor.

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2016 12:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
twinscrewzz

Mana: 
Rich
I am one of those maquiladoras clients. Where price is really not an issue time is.
When I fly American into HMO from Phoenix it takes me an hour and 20 minutes to rent a car and be at the hotel in Guaymas.
If I have to sit in the airport in HMO for an hour I have wasted part of my day. So the timing of the flights is very important to me.
Would much rather be sitting at Hammerheads sipping Margaritas than waiting for the connecting 20 minute flight.

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2016 01:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
bombero

Mana: 
I totally agree with Richard, until this air service has a name, in that business, it's all rumor.

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2016 01:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
RichD

Mana: 
twinscrewzz, that was my point. Business travel will keep this afloat and time and convenience is more important to the business traveler. I would be very surprised if the fares are low and tourist travel would not keep it going anyway.

Of course this all depends on the rumor becoming reality.

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2016 02:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
Very cool indeed.

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2016 02:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Based on the information provided in the article, I predict the airline is Delta. 

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2016 04:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
Many people are excited about this. One of the main issues will be the fares. If the fare is reasonable, then there are many people that will use the service. Hence the seats will fill up. If it is expensive, then they will only get the business travelers. No international flights into Guaymas, has really killed the foreign investment in real estate in San Carlos. We have all felt the economic downturn over the years. This is a great opportunity for the community to once again thrive. Family members and friends will have an easier way to come down, less time consuming, and less hassle. The unavailability of flights has hurt the economy tremendously. In Tucson, it is not a rumor.

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2016 06:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
quagmire

Mana: 
I would guess SkyWest.

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2016 10:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
aloha

Mana: 
one of the articles said appox $400 rt from phoenix or Tucson to guaymas. that's insane.totally unaffordable. many other scenic areas in mx with ocean breezes,more affordable real estate and much better maintained infrastructure. ie:reliable water... for a lot less $.good for an emergency if you have an emergency that doesn't require advance planning. lol nothing appealing about this except for the business traveler. and they usually do not pay for their ticket,their employer does.love san carlos,but it wouldn't be my first choice if I had a 'do over'

Last edited on Mon Feb 15th, 2016 10:05 pm by aloha

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2016 10:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
bombero

Mana: 
This is round trip from Los Angeles to Hermosillo.  Air travel is not cheap.  From Phx or Tucson to Guaymas for $400 or less seems pretty reasonable to me.  How often would one be doing this?  This appears to be a good deal and a viable option.  I think, at this price, it would be a great boon to the area.  
$1,219.97 USD, AeroMexico, mas o menos  Los Angeles to Hermosillo, round trip.

Last edited on Mon Feb 15th, 2016 10:54 pm by bombero

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2016 11:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Manuel0822

Mana: 
I think tickets at around $400 round trip won't be really appealing to MX people looking for a quick trip to Tucson Mall for the weekend (as the article suggests) but it will for sure have an impact and make it a lot easier for bussiness travelers.

I know for sure that everytime I go to the Airport in Hermosillo, flights are full with most of the times bussiness people making the drive down to Guaymas anyways.

Might sound convenient for a short trip but at $400 dlls each that's about $30K pesos for a family of 4, that most people will probably pass on. At least I know I would much rather spend that money into something I can keep.

Air travel ain't cheap but just for a comparison, and using Aeromexico as a reference per Bombero's example above, round trip from Houston IAH to Hermosillo is about $500 dlls, and out of that, the expensive part comes from the connection flight from MTY to HMO.

I have flown on Aeromexico, from IAH to MTY for under $100 dlls (one way) before.

Another option back there is vivaerobus, which even though I don't really care for anymore, still offers flights at $60 for the same MTY - IAH route. Now that's real budget flying.

I can assure you with tickets on that level people does use it for short weekend trips. Flights were always full, every time I used it.

P.S. The reason I chose MTY - IAH is distance, we have around 330 miles from Tucson to Guaymas VS 460 miles from Houston to Monterrey.

Still good news tough, let's hope it brings new visitors to town!

Posted: Mon Feb 15th, 2016 11:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
twinscrewzz

Mana: 
bombero wrote: This is round trip from Los Angeles to Hermosillo.  Air travel is not cheap.  From Phx or Tucson to Guaymas for $400 or less seems pretty reasonable to me.  How often would one be doing this?  This appears to be a good deal and a viable option.  I think, at this price, it would be a great boon to the area.  
$1,219.97 USD, AeroMexico, mas o menos  Los Angeles to Hermosillo, round trip.

Wow $1219.97 round trip. Phoenix to Hermosillo round trip with no advanced purchase cost me $581.00 American Airlines. Well skywest on a Canada air regional jet. Seating is 2 rows of 2. They go out twice a day at 11:00 and 12:00 $50/day for a rental car and $60/day for a hotel.

Posted: Tue Feb 16th, 2016 12:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
bombero

Mana: 
Twinscrewzz, then I would think the new proposed fares, you would be all over. Manual, when I have considered the new airline and fares, my reasoning is based on U.S. and Canadian citizens, that either want to vacation here in San Carlos, or have homes here, and call this home. I realize it is not for the average weekender going north or south, being Mexican or US, that would be an expensive weekend, but for those of us that are here, and have guests in this would be a viable option.

Posted: Tue Feb 16th, 2016 01:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
twinscrewzz

Mana: 
bombero
With a little advance planning, 14 days that flight from Phoenix to HMO is under $250.00 round trip. If the flight to Guaymas is an additional $50.00 I'm thinking a group of Guys wanting to do a weekend fishing would find it attractive as well.

Last edited on Tue Feb 16th, 2016 01:45 am by twinscrewzz

Posted: Wed Feb 17th, 2016 09:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
odwyerpw

Mana: 
I put a post up on Airliners.net, but I didn't get any responses from anyone truly in the know.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6627294/

Posted: Fri Feb 19th, 2016 07:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
Odwyerpw, I just read your posting on the airliners.net blog. Thank you! If this service to GYM from PHX and TUS were fact, i.e. that the permits have been issued, then you would have shaken out the name of the airline. Based on this, I am therefore, still of the opinion that this is in the category of RUMOR.

Posted: Fri Feb 19th, 2016 03:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
GOIT

Mana: 
Still just hearsay and rumor as I have no facts but.... a good friend of mine works for Homeland Security and stated to me as a fact that there was a meeting between them, the airline(no I don't know which), and TIA officials about the new international flights.

Current time is 09:54 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > AIRLINE SERVICE FOR GUAYMAS Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems