San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Real estate purchase  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Dec 9th, 2015 11:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Tex L. Horn

Mana: 
We are looking to buy real estate in SC. I inquired about title insurance from an American title company and our realtor said a title policy was not necessary because the notorio would take care of the search. Also, is an attorney necessary ? Any information on the subject is appreciated.

Last edited on Wed Dec 9th, 2015 12:16 pm by Tex L. Horn

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Dec 9th, 2015 01:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Hook

Mana: 
I have no personal experience but I have had a few individuals tell me that the loopholes/exclusions in these policies make them all but useless.

Posted: Wed Dec 9th, 2015 01:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Don't invest in Mexico more than you can afford to loose.

Posted: Wed Dec 9th, 2015 02:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
bombero

Mana: 
"Invest", is the key word here. Jimmy says don't.....in Mx. Probably decent advise. Jimmy where would you have us "invest"? I know your home, is probably one of the biggest outlays of money in your lifetime, but that does not mean, it is an investment. One that is designed to earn money, of course that is ideal, but living where your want, at some point in your life is more important.

Tex, my advise to you would be, surround yourself with a honest and competent real estate agent here in San Carlos. There are a few, ask around, look into some of the agents that advertise on this site.

Jimmy, when you find that great investment opportunity.....let me know.

Posted: Wed Dec 9th, 2015 03:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
RichD

Mana: 
I think the most security you have is the bank trust. The bank issuing the trust is not going to take chances. The part of the process that makes many uncomfortable is that you usually have to pay for the property before the trust is completed. I think it is a big advantage to buy a property that already has a trust. They are not transferable but you have a better chance of not having trouble. If anyone tells you that you don't need a trust, run as fast as you can.

Posted: Wed Dec 9th, 2015 03:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Tex - the process here is somewhat different , the Notario performs a variety of functions including checking the title . As the Notario is performing a function for the government many restrictions and quality issues apply - not just anyone can qualify !

Because of the need for foreigners to have a bank trust in order to own property in this area, you also have a second layer of security - the bank cannot issue a trust unless the notario's paperwork has been correctly executed.

There are some areas in mexico where title insurance applies - but from what I have seen they tend to be condos and developments in large tourist areas with very much more complex title issues.

The above from what I have seen and noted - not to replace professional advice !

Good professional advice locally is worth a lot , I know of 3 professionals who I would use to get accurate advice, pm if you want names.

Good luck and welcome !

Posted: Wed Dec 9th, 2015 03:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Steve W.

Mana: 
As Jimmy said "Don't invest in Mexico more than you can afford to loose." You seem to have already made up your mind to buy. First off there is a law that non national can not own land within like 12 miles of the sea. Now does it say anything to you that so many people will tell you "but this is Mexico" there are ways to get around that. Well this is Mexico and there are so many way to lose that same land.

Posted: Wed Dec 9th, 2015 04:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
bombero

Mana: 
I know of northerners losing money here in Mx. but only because of buying high and selling low. How many of you commenting on this thread know of anyone losing their trust to a government take-back? If the Mexican escrow (esquitura/bad spell) is done correctly, taxes are paid, trust fees are paid, there appears to be no risk, as far as losing your property (dwelling) to the gov.,or trust holder (bank)

Posted: Wed Dec 9th, 2015 04:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Ian948

Mana: 
Bombero 100% correct.

Need a thumbs up emoji !

:)

Posted: Wed Dec 9th, 2015 04:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
aloha

Mana: 
interesting topic. following ~

Posted: Wed Dec 9th, 2015 06:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
bombero wrote: "Invest", is the key word here. Jimmy says don't.....in Mx. Probably decent advise. Jimmy where would you have us "invest"? I know your home, is probably one of the biggest outlays of money in your lifetime, but that does not mean, it is an investment. One that is designed to earn money, of course that is ideal, but living where your want, at some point in your life is more important.

Tex, my advise to you would be, surround yourself with a honest and competent real estate agent here in San Carlos. There are a few, ask around, look into some of the agents that advertise on this site.

Jimmy, when you find that great investment opportunity.....let me know.

What the (^^%$%$$##@) bonbero! Do you not understand my Point?

in·vest
inˈvest/
verb
verb: invest; 3rd person present: invests; past tense: invested; past participle: invested; gerund or present participle: investing

expend money with the expectation of achieving a profit or material result by putting it into financial schemes, shares, or property, or by using it to develop a commercial venture.

OK, Don't spend any money in Mexico that you can not afford to loose. I know of plenty of folks who lost money on their Mexico property when it sold years after they listed it. I know of folks who were cheated out of their property. I know folks who just walked away from their property.

Mexico is Not the US! It is corrupt. One does not have the same securities of property in Mexico they have in the US.

As far as a Trust goes,(you don't own the property) that can change with just a meeting of the Mexican Congress. Things have been Nationalized in Mexico in the past.

Questions? might talk to Craig the Iron Man, find out what he thinks about it.

Last edited on Wed Dec 9th, 2015 06:21 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Wed Dec 9th, 2015 06:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
bombero

Mana: 
rant

/rant/

verb

verb: rant; 3rd person present: rants; past tense: ranted; past participle: ranted; gerund or present participle: ranting

speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way.

What are you talking about?? Calm down.

Posted: Wed Dec 9th, 2015 07:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
You have no choice but to use a notario in Mexico. He will check the old titles, check for leans, write the purchase agreement, hold the money for transfer, set up the bank trust, and get everything signed and registered and pay for city services.

Your real estate agent should have a written guide to walk you through the process.

Posted: Wed Dec 9th, 2015 10:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
kyacker

Mana: 
Tex if you are new to the area it might be a good idea to rent a place for a year to get a feel of what living in San Carlos and the surrounding areas is like, and then if you like the area then buy..You will be more informed on the pros and cons of the area.

Posted: Thu Dec 10th, 2015 03:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
azbandit66

Mana: 
I agree. The important thing is to have everything set up correctly before you buy. I own a couple properties in the states as well. But as  is anywhere, I don't really own them, the government does.
   Don't pay taxes for a few years or be subject to eminent domain and then tell me about how secure your US property is. My property is in the Bahia where many of my American national neighbors have lived there for 10, 20, 25 years already.

Posted: Thu Dec 10th, 2015 10:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Bullshipper

Mana: 
To be clear, a notario en Mexico is a registered attorney.

Posted: Thu Dec 10th, 2015 03:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
bombero

Mana: 
Tex, back to your original question, and I am assuming all the other advise given above has been digested and perhaps done in advance...ie: rent for a year, so you know what you are getting yourself into..etc.

Best advise, spend sometime seeking out a honest/good real estate broker/agent, they will take you through the process, protect your interests, and see that all provisions of the contract and Mexican laws are legally adhered to. From what I see that is available out there, now is a good time to buy. Best of luck and welcome to San Carlos.

Posted: Fri Dec 11th, 2015 04:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
mrmikek

Mana: 
We just bought a house in San Carlos. There are a couple of attorneys in town. I would suggest you contact them. I would not venture in to a purchase without an attorney.

Posted: Fri Dec 11th, 2015 11:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
aloha

Mana: 
honest realtors? that's a contradiction in terms sorry to say. hire a real estate att'y. abagados do not have a much better rep,but at times are held to a higher standard and can be reported for mis-conduct. all said,you are in mexico. its a different ball game. WELCOME :)

Last edited on Fri Dec 11th, 2015 11:09 am by aloha

Posted: Fri Dec 11th, 2015 01:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
bombero

Mana: 
Any tips given to make the buying experience here pleasant, and on the up and up, should be considered. Aloha, yes, there are honest realtors here in San Carlos, in fact more honest ones, than dishonest ones. These realty agencies have and recommend Attorneys, Notaries, that they have to facilitate each contract and or trust, as sales to northerners can all be different. I am not a realtor, but I cannot stress enough, that there are honest realtors in SC. See the offices surrounding the "old Pemex", see the offices at Beltrones and Paseo Alegre, use the Realtors who are sponsors of this site.

All said, you are in Mexico, which is not to say, watch out, everyone is out to get you.........if you feel like that.........see ya!!

Current time is 06:46 pm Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Real estate purchase Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems