San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
tipping  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Dec 1st, 2015 01:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Tex L. Horn

Mana: 
Does anyone have any suggestions on the proper tip for captain on fishing half day charter, Pemex attendants, etc. I usually tip 20 per cent for food and drink, plus or minus depending on service. Thanks.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Dec 1st, 2015 03:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Susan C

Mana: 
This was edited because of the sad nature of and abusive nature set by a few obviously unhappy individuals. Tex, ask on the fishing board.

Last edited on Fri Dec 4th, 2015 11:00 pm by Susan C

Posted: Tue Dec 1st, 2015 06:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
JZ

Mana: 
Susan C wrote: At Pemex when they wash my windows usually 5 pesos. When they check my tires and add air 10 pesos.
Lol.  30 cents, really?  That's really being cheap.  20 to 50 pesos is more appropriate.  The other stuff is right.

Last edited on Tue Dec 1st, 2015 06:19 pm by JZ

Posted: Tue Dec 1st, 2015 08:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
aloha

Mana: 
i thought the same about the pemex tip. to each his own. i am not a big spender,but i am fair. and i have the loose change. remember what we spent on starbux daily? lol its worth it for them to remember me,have small talk,and I never worry about being screwed.

Posted: Tue Dec 1st, 2015 08:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
will rogers

Mana: 
I wash my own windows. I don't go to Starbucks. But hey, if that's all it takes to keep from getting screwed?

Posted: Tue Dec 1st, 2015 08:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
390pony

Mana: 
I've never had my truck tires checked when filling at Pemex, and wouldn't want it. But, if they wash my windows, and that is rarely, I tip 10 pesos, more if I have a handful of change.

Posted: Tue Dec 1st, 2015 08:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
aloha

Mana: 
good for you will rogers. big time attitude,but whatever ;)

Posted: Tue Dec 1st, 2015 10:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
I usually tip at Pemex whatever the loose change is plus a bit if the windows get washed, etc. 20% or more on food and drink depending on service/server attitude.

Posted: Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 01:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
RichD

Mana: 
Discussions about tipping seem to always range from 'you are a cheapskate' to 'you are spoiling them'. 50 pesos for washing a windshield? That is an insult to people that work hard for 50 pesos an hour. If you feel like being a big tipper, do it. But don't call others cheap. I have never been with a Mexican that tipped anything at Pemex. Maybe some do.

Posted: Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 01:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
JZ

Mana: 
RichD wrote: Discussions about tipping seem to always range from 'you are a cheapskate' to 'you are spoiling them'. 50 pesos for washing a windshield? That is an insult to people that work hard for 50 pesos an hour. If you feel like being a big tipper, do it. But don't call others cheap. I have never been with a Mexican that tipped anything at Pemex. Maybe some do.
Tipping 30 cents in cheap, sorry.  The Mexicans I hang with tip.  Not sure who you are hanging with.

Posted: Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 01:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
RichD

Mana: 
I would rather give money to places like Meson de Jesus that feed hungry people but do what ever you like.

Posted: Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 12:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
aloha

Mana: 
personally,i can afford to do both. gracias a Dios.i put in many hours
helping at mason de Jesus. but this is comparing apples to oranges.  from me,Pemex guys get loose change. charities get cash ;)

Last edited on Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 07:23 pm by aloha

Posted: Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 01:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
RichD

Mana: 
That is commendable. It seems the original poster was asking for what is customary. When I first came here I had no idea it was customary to tip those that bag your groceries or pump your gas. Some of the people I hang with are those that work very hard for 50 pesos an hour and I still maintain it is an insult to them to pay someone that already gets a decent salary 50 pesos for 2 minutes work. I see tipping as a way of saying thank you, a courtesy. Others see tipping as a way to ensure good service in the future. Nothing wrong with being generous but I resent the implication that people are cheap if they don't tip at the highest level. Last word on the subject.

Posted: Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 02:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Tex L. Horn

Mana: 
We followed Susan's advice on the fishing captain. I tipped 300 pesos for half day fishing trip. He appeared insulted and tossed the pesos onto the seat. I suppose it depends on the recipient.

Posted: Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 03:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
aloha

Mana: 
wth?? wow,i m saddened by that. I think you chose
 the wrong captain. most of them are knowledgable and gracious and fun. sorry

Posted: Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 03:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
long time resident

Mana: 
Anyone who is insulted by you giving them money above and beyond what they normally make, should find a job where they make no tips. Money is money, and some work a lot harder for it then others. Not everyone is rich, and to give any extra money is being very generous, no matter what the amount. It is extra, and should be viewed as such. Attitude is everything.

Posted: Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 05:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
will rogers

Mana: 
I go to the "old" station because people say they are the most honest. I get out of the vehicle and watch them zero the pump. I eventually take the nozzle so I can stop it at a the amount I want. When I have containers filled the amount they get in is usually substantially more then the capacity printed on the container.  The one time I pointed out the difference he shrugged his shoulders. 

Posted: Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 06:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
JZ

Mana: 
long time resident wrote: Anyone who is insulted by you giving them money above and beyond what they normally make, should find a job where they make no tips. Money is money, and some work a lot harder for it then others. Not everyone is rich, and to give any extra money is being very generous, no matter what the amount. It is extra, and should be viewed as such. Attitude is everything.
Waiters and boat captains count on tips as part of their income.

It's not "extra."  If you don't tip 15-20% to a waiter you shouldn't eat out.

If you don't tip a MX boat captain, you have no business going out on the water.

Posted: Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 06:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
aloha

Mana: 
i agree JZ. nicely said. hard to argue with that  ;)

Posted: Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 06:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
JZ

Mana: 
Tex L. Horn wrote: We followed Susan's advice on the fishing captain. I tipped 300 pesos for half day fishing trip. He appeared insulted and tossed the pesos onto the seat. I suppose it depends on the recipient.
That's $18.  She said 500.  Even if you used him for 1/2 day, you took away the opportunity for him to work more.  Surprised he'd act like that, but you did under tip.

People need to take the current exchange rate into consideration.  A lot of the stuff they do is tied to the $.

I know a dozen+ of the MX captains.  Some of the better captains are now expecting 700 to 1000 per day.  500 was always good when it was closer to a 10 to 1 ratio w/the dollar.

Last edited on Wed Dec 2nd, 2015 06:27 pm by JZ

Current time is 08:15 am Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > tipping Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems