San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums Home 

San Carlos Mexico Forum
Welcome to our forum. In order to post in our forums you must be registered. Please take a minute to register to enjoy the full benefits of the forum. Registration is FREE and your information is kept private. When registering, please make sure your email address is entered correctly-if incorrect, you will not receive your validation message. Please do not use your email address as your user name for your own privacy and security. Gmail account users should check spam or trash folders for our validation message after initial registration. We also suggest you add host@sancarlosmexico.com to your white list.

This message board requires you to register in order to post new topics, reply to topics started by other users, start polls, or vote on polls. As a registered user, you can edit your own posts, upload photos and view our photo gallery, and send private messages to other members of the board. Registered users can keep track of the topics they are interested in, and receive e-mail notifications when someone posts to one of those topics. Registered users can choose a theme and setup a profile, to include hometown, email & web address and avatar if desired.
We do ask that you post in the appropriate forum-look over the subjects and topics of all forums including the mercado section before making your first post. Posts in the wrong forum or not related to San Carlos may be moved or deleted without notice.
Please take a moment and register to enjoy all the benefits of the forum.
Bienvenidos!

Moderated by: bartmanaz Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Living in San Carlos  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Sep 27th, 2012 09:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jandersonland

Mana: 
Hello -

I am 32 and seriously considering moving to San Carlos. I'm sick of wasting my days sitting behind a desk and San Carlos appears to be an outdoor enthusiasts dream. My question is would it be unusual for someone of my age to take up permanent resedidence in San Carlos? What are the demographics like in the community for full time residents? Also, what would be the likliehood of finding work in a restraunt or shop? Thank you in advance for your responses.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Sep 27th, 2012 10:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Do your reasearch...about a forginer working in Mexico.

This place is occupied by young Mexicans.

And Lots Of OLD, retired gringo folks.

If you have taken the time to read the posts on this BB or the VIVA board, you have read that the high points of conversation about living here, revolves around -dog well being, dining out, the inadiquate water supply, leaky sewer that spills into the road, disrepair of the roads, trash collection, medical care, internet connection speed, the disaperance of hand tools. 

If you are younger than 70 years of age, and you are single,(or married)  then you would be better suited to living in Matazlan, La Paz, Cabo San Lucas, Guadalajara.

The aroma of bengay, and the squeeky sound of creeking joints, as folks move about is the flavor San Carlos.

It is Too Hot in the summer with Sweltering Humidity. In the winter it is too Cold. 

If you decide to live with the Mexicans....Well, thats a different story. Mostly in Guaymas. Some in San Carlos.

What ever your decision is, you now have some food for thought.

Jimmy-Old Timer.
P.S. Fishing is a prime gringo activity here.

Fish per pound in the market...$3.50 per pound

Fish per pound, fresh cought by you... $128.98 per pound (that is if they are on the bite). If not, then thats $128.98 per pound for nothin X 4 hours, and if you want fish you still go to the market? JAjaja.

Happy fishing...

Last edited on Thu Sep 27th, 2012 10:31 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Thu Sep 27th, 2012 10:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
bartmanaz
Administrator

Mana: 
Well Jimmy has given you a perspective.  Here is mine.  I have a son who is close to your age and would move to SC in a minute, except he has a decent job with benefits in the USA.  Can you work?-yes but would not set my income needs too high.  Many young gringos do.

My suggestion is to go visit for a bit, kick the towns tires and see how it matches your expectations.

Bart

Posted: Thu Sep 27th, 2012 10:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jandersonland

Mana: 
That's the feeling I was getting but I needed verification from an honest and well spoken old timer. I really appreciate it, happy fishing Jimmy!!

Posted: Thu Sep 27th, 2012 10:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
debbb1

Mana: 
I dont live here but visit a lot. There are lots of retired people but I see lots of younger ones also. Could you rent a place for a month or so to try it out?
~Deb

Posted: Thu Sep 27th, 2012 10:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
jandersonland

Mana: 
Bart, thank you as well and you're exactly right. I need to make a trip down to see for myself. Just to clarigy I am not looking for a party scene at all. But Jimmy did freak me out a bit with the thought of rusty bones and the scent of ben gay looming in the air. Not that there's anything wrong with that I'm just not there yet.

Posted: Thu Sep 27th, 2012 10:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Your are mistaken my friend, I go to the market for my fish.
"I am Crazy, not stupid". (an old friends remark)

OK, San Carlos is a gringo retirement area. 5 hours up to the border, and 1 hour more to the VA Hostipitle in Tucson.

You do need to Visit, to see. If you like, rent for a year.

As for work, there are Maquiladoras (International Manufacturing Firms) in the area, who might higher bilinguel gringos, for a Managerial / supervisoraial position.

A waiter...NO WAY...we got plenty of those who are Native to the area.

If you don't follow your dreams now, you will regret it later.

Last edited on Thu Sep 27th, 2012 11:06 pm by Jimmy

Posted: Thu Sep 27th, 2012 11:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
San Carlos:

"A sleepy little drinking village with a fishing problem".

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2012 12:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
diver45

Mana: 
My family, friends and I have been coming to San Carlos since 1965. We enjoy diving, spearfishing and fishing. There is tons of fun things to do. Do not let anyone talk you out of chasing your dream. The others are right, you should come down for an extended time,rent a place and see for yourself. The retired folks and the locals are very friendly. Good thing Jimmy is not the spokesperson for San Carlos tourism.

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2012 08:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
B.Bailey

Mana: 
When I first discovered this San Carlos place back in 1982 I was 33 years old. An American who lived in Miramar hired me to draft plans for an apartment building in Tucson that he wanted to build.  I stayed in Miramar with his family for 6 weeks and fell in love with the place. It was a dream come true and I vowed to make this place my home.

My problem was that there was no work for an American. There are exceptions I suppose. The solution was to become a Mexican citizen - denounce your American citizenship. I did not do that. I still get down to S.C. every chance I get. I rent an apartment. I bring work that I can do while I am in Mexico but it is for American companies.

I would not worry about the "Old Gringos" they are all young at heart - even the grouchie ones.  

Posted: Sun Sep 30th, 2012 12:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
ClintandJanet

Mana: 
It is a lot of fun to live in San Carlos. The older people do not smell of bengay here, they are out having fun, on the beaches, swimming, fishing, dancing, listening to music, eating delicious food, making new friends from around the world, and Mexico, learning Spanish, doing yoga, zumba, tai chi, helping people. These are the youngest "older" people that I have ever met. I don't know how you can get old here when you are having so much fun. An acquaintance of ours who had lived here since 1965 went to the U.S. by family because he was ill last year, very ill, then as soon as he could come back, came back and lived in his home he had built in Ranchitos for 6 more months. Then as he came to his end, 3 days before, he returned to U.S. to die. He enjoyed San Carlos until 3 days before he died.

You can enjoy life at any age. One of the greatest things about Mexico, is that Mexicans respect age and do not discriminate at all because of it, another plus about San Carlos. Also Mexicans enjoy you and accept you for who you are and not the age you are.

Last edited on Sat Oct 20th, 2012 04:18 pm by ClintandJanet

Posted: Sun Sep 30th, 2012 04:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
NancyB

Mana: 

Clint and Janet ... As you know we are returning in another month. Gee, Were we supposed to pick up that case of BenGay you ordered, or not? LOL, Just kidding.
To the young man asking the origional question .... My husband and I are in our mid 60's. We ride our motorcycles all over the United States and Canada. We are very active and very healthy, and very happy people. We have purchased a Sailboat in San Carlos and we will be moving there permanently, hopefully before the end of this year. We have NEVER felt old there or been treated as if we were old. San Carlos is a fun and exciting place to live. You can be as old or as young as you want to there and that does not make a difference to anyone surrounding you. The people living there are beautiful and ALIVE. I NEVER smelled BenGay on anyone ... even a woman who I met who was in her nineties. The Local Citizens are warm and welcoming without passing judgement, as well as the "visitors". We have never lived in a house or an apartment or in a neighborhood in San Carlos, only amongst the Fishing and Boating community, who are great, by the way, but, we have made friends with those who do and they are as open minded about such things as we are. And, by the way, Living in San Carlos is considerably less expensive than living in the States.
We see Many, Many young people on a daily basis. If you come there and it makes you feel good, go for it. You have many wonderful years ahead of you, and if San Carlos makes you happy now and years later you change your mind ... then you will still be "Young" enough to search out happiness elsewhere, but, you will have had some San Carlos living within you and you will be a better person for it. Carpe Diem
Peace,
Nancy

Posted: Mon Oct 1st, 2012 12:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Eire

Mana: 
I can't figure out why "Jimmy" lives here, he does not seem like the people I see out there living their dream
as we are living ours. Come and stay with us in SanCarlos for a while and see for yourself.

Posted: Mon Oct 1st, 2012 12:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Jimmy

Mana: 
Jimmy originally came to Mexico as a retreat from the Gringos and the Gringo culture and mindset.

He has contunually lived among the Mexican people during his time in Mexico, and still does. Jimmy has a large extended Mexican family and many Mexican friends. He finds the Mexican  people to be warm, friendly and geinuinely happy. He has been known to go months without having to converse with English speaking people.

Questions? Re read sentence 1.

Posted: Mon Oct 1st, 2012 01:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
IronMan

Mana: 
If you don't understand Jimmy, it may be because you don't miss the Mexico of days past, or perhaps because you have not had some of his experiences. He has a different slant on Mexico than most who visit this site, but it is no less valid than yours.

The thought of coming to San Carlos to work in the service industry is a little naive.

Posted: Mon Oct 1st, 2012 05:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
ClintandJanet

Mana: 
San Carlos is a fun place to live for people of all ages and all nationalities.

Last edited on Sat Oct 20th, 2012 04:19 pm by ClintandJanet

Posted: Mon Oct 1st, 2012 02:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
will rogers

Mana: 
He's a gringo that hates gringos but gets lonely for other gringos to talk to. 

Posted: Mon Oct 1st, 2012 04:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
ballenamar

Mana: 
A previous post said "The thought of coming to San Carlos to work in the service industry is a little naive."

If you consider teaching a "service industry", we are always in need of native English speaking teachers in Guaymas. The requirements are for a college education but not necessarily a teaching credential. My 37 year old son has a degree in business but is being considered for a teaching position.

So, if the original poster is interested in teaching, he might find a very rewarding experience where he can contribute to the future of Mexico while earning a basic living.

Last edited on Mon Oct 1st, 2012 04:37 pm by ballenamar

Posted: Tue Oct 2nd, 2012 05:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Richard Baca

Mana: 
San Carlos is, (except for Easter Week) a quiet peaceful beach town. It's a town with no stop lights in a magnificent natural setting. National Geographic voted our Mirador Escenico (Vista Point) No. 1 in the World for views! A client of ours once commented that the West side of SC is like Monument Valley with an ocean! The desert meets the sea in a spectacular juxtaposition! Outdoor activities for all ages include fishing, scuba diving or snorkeling, kayaking, wind or kite surfing, beach swimming, beach combing, tide pooling, hiking, trail biking, bird watching, desert star gazing and of course photography. Our sunrises and sunsets are legendary and include frequent "green flash" sightings. Many years ago, even before my time, (1984) a resident, (whose name I don't recall at the moment), summed up life in San Carlos this way: "IN SAN CARLOS WE DON'T HAVE TOO MUCH FUN, BUT WE DO IT ALL THE TIME!

I think the best advice is to c'mon down, rent for several months and get a feel and taste for the texture and flavor of the area and its people.

Last edited on Tue Oct 2nd, 2012 05:52 am by Richard Baca

Posted: Tue Oct 2nd, 2012 11:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
Zorgeo

Mana: 
Real estate sales people, as Richard Baca is, will always attempt to put lipstick on a pig. San Carlos is not much different than most retirement communities. The young crowd has not found the area so you may find yourself bored with the current aging duffers. Also it is very transit in that many will pass on, many are here for a few days to weeks to months. I wouldn't recommend San Carlos for one your age.

Current time is 04:33 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Forums > Topical Forums > San Carlos Forum > Living in San Carlos Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2014 Data 1 Systems